First Place Prize is $10,000!
The Utah Society Sons of the American Revolution (Utah SAR) invites all Eagle Scouts (under 19 years of age) who live in the State of Utah and have interest in the American Revolution to participate in the Arthur M. & Berdena King Eagle Scout Award Contest.
APPLICATION SUBMISSION DEADLINE IS
January 15th Each Year
The contest is open to all Utah Eagle Scouts who are currently registered in an active unit and have not reached their nineteenth birthday during the year of application. While the preliminary rounds of the contest begin at the local level, Scouts may eventually advance to the state or national levels, eventually held in June during the annual SAR Congress, and awarded up to $10,000.
College plans do not have to be completed in order to receive the cash award. 15 cash awards are given: the National First Place Winner receives $10,000; 2nd Place – $6,000; 3rd Place – $4,000; 4th Place – $2,000; 5th Place – $1000; 6th thru 10th – $500; and 11th thru 15th – $200. Scouts may apply more than one year if they meet the age requirements, but no more than $10,000 total may be granted to any one Eagle Scout. Prizes and recognition may also be awarded at the SAR local chapter and state society level. Each Eagle Scout must complete an application form, a four-generation ancestor chart, and a 500-word patriotic themed essay.
The competition is conducted in three phases: the local chapter, state-level society, and national phases. The competition is usually entered at the chapter level, though in some cases, the competition may be entered at the society level. Applicants may not enter at the national level. Contest entrants need complete only one application for the SAR chapter-level competition. The application of the chapter-level winner is forwarded to be used in the society- and national-level competitions by the SAR as appropriate.
A complete set of instructions and rules, along with the application for both the applicant and the sponsoring SAR members, can be found below. Please be aware that the local application deadline dates may vary, so interested applicants should reach out to their local SAR member listed below for further details.
- Click to obtain the application Youth Programs, Eagle Scout Program, King Scholarship Application and print two copies, one for a working copy and one for final application. The state winner application is sent to National SAR for the scholarship competition for the monetary awards.
- Fill out the working copy as follows: Obtain the State Eagle Chairman information by going to the Utah SAR Web site, About Us, Utah Society SAR Officers. The Utah SAR Eagle Scout Chairman information is also on the web site at Scouting, King Eagle Scout Award. You will need to contact and send your application to the Utah SAR Eagle Scout Chairman.
- On page one, make sure on the final application all the signatures are obtained and written.
- You are allowed 11 pages in all. Do not submit the instructions as part of your application. Sections 2-8 may have, “See Addendum” in each section. What national wants is details typed out on what camp you attended, what leadership skills you gave to help fellow scouts, what was accomplished. Example: With my troop, I attended Camp Steiner on 5 May 2022. I made up a list of all camping gear each scout would need to take. Physicals and parental permissions slips were obtained. I saw that each of the scouts attended the 6 merit badge classes. Our scouts earned 6 merit badges for each scout towards advancement.
- Religious Section: This is where you share your religious service. You must be careful to not create a misperception. LDS eagle scouts applying need to realize that for most other religions, “Seminary” is where a person goes to become a religious professional Priest or Minister. For those applicants who are LDS, if you put down you are a Priest and attending Seminary the national judges will score you down. Be careful to not create a misunderstanding. On your application, if applicable, write your Seminary as religious instruction for 4 years, that you are active in your church doing several service projects (name what you did and what was accomplished and how many helped with each service project.)
- Bibliography: National is looking for your research from books, not just the internet. Just internet sources get scored down. You can get good ideas from past National SAR Magazine articles as a source.
- Essay Ideas and Genealogical Form
- Crossroads of the West Council in conjunction with Utah SAR offers a $1,000 Scholarship to Weber State University. This is available only to the Utah SAR Eagle Scout winner who will be attending WSU. The same form is used for application.
- If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Utah SAR Eagle Scout Award Contest Chairman. (Go to “About Us” in the menu bar and click “Utah Society SAR Officers“, (https://utahsocietysar.org/home/about-us/utah-society-sar-officers).