Any man shall be eligible for membership in Utah SAR who is:
18 years or older
A citizen of good repute in the community
- A lineal descendant of an ancestor who was at all times unfailing in loyalty to, and rendered active service in the cause of, American Independence either as an officer, soldier, seaman, marine, militiaman or minuteman, in the armed forces of the Continental Congress, of any one of the several Colonies or States, as a signer of the Declaration of Independence, as a member of a Committee of Safety or Correspondence, as a member of any Continental, Provincial, or Colonial Congress or Legislature or as a recognized patriot who performed actual service by overt acts of resistance to the authority of Great Britain.
(For those who are unable to complete membership application or do not have a qualifying lineal descendant there is an alternative. Click Here)
- Not an advocate for the overthrow of the Government of the United States by use of force or violence.
The applicant must also be personally acceptable to the Utah SAR. Family tradition in regard to the services of an ancestor will not be considered. No preliminary decision will be given on a line of descent, service or evidentiary value of proposed evidence. (When examined with all available evidence, such preliminary decision might prove to be incorrect and the National Society cannot accept responsibility for such a decision.)
You can find out more information in the following brochures:
- Requirements for Membership
- SAR Application
- SAR Application Instructions
- Junior Membership Youth Registration Program
- Help Preserve A Precious Heritage
For more information regarding becoming a member or to get a question answered please contact Layton Patterson.